The Hip Hop Mortuary

"I wax lyrics so poetic even the most narcoleptic skeptic feels awake and perceptive"

10:38 AM

Del Tha Funkee Homosapien- No Need For Alarm

Posted by Guy Fawkes

Lately I've been bumpin Deltron 3030 like none other. Believe me when I tell you this: Only Soul On Ice Ras Kass can compare to Tha Funkee Homosapien on a lyrical level. After wearing out the speakers in the car listening to Things You Can Do, I finally moved onto Del's short-lived solo discography. I have to say this guy gets slept on like narcolepsy. One of my favorite things about Del is his ability to wreck any beat with his chameleonic flow. Another is the wide variety of incredibly ill instrumentals he spits over. At this point in time in Del's career he was just beginning to craft his uniquely patented style of trite braggadocio hip-hop mixed with insane wordplay that gives you authentic goosebumps. Enough talk though...

1. You're In Shambles
The soft jazz in the back-end of the instrumental has always put me in a different mindstate. Something so ethereal about this instrumental. And Del's other-worldly flow and lyricism leave this song in shambles.

2. Catch A Bad One
If anyone can make meandering violin sound like a traditional hip hop instrument it's definitely Del. This song is dope, but not comparable to You're In Shambles.

3. Wack M.C.'s
Ahh, the ever-popular early 90's ode to the wack MC or wack crew. I've got a theory that you can find a song like this on almost every hip hop album made in the late 80's and 90's. Del puts his personal spin on it, but it's still really predictable, especially the hook.

4. No Need For Alarm
It took me a little while to warm up to this track, but I'm really feelin' it as I type. The flow still makes my jaw drop. Whose fucking with Del?

5. Boo Boo Heads
The hook is funny in a 90's sort of way. Like when kids my age watch Friday and understand the jokes in a "I feel it even though I didn't live it" sense. The flow and insane battle raps are killing me at this point.

6. Treats For The Kiddies
Title says it all. My only complaint for now is that the last six songs sound like the same thing with a minor beat change. Minor meaning a slight change in the bassline or adding a scratched vocal here and there...

7. Worldwide
I guess I planned that above statement perfectly as Del lines up some top quality lyricism over this East-Coast instrumental. The guest verse sounds ominously just like Del; the flow, the rhyme scheme... sounds like it might have been *gasp* ghostwritten? Or Del knows how to throw his voice... either way this song is dope.

8. No More Worries
Let's get this straight. This is the best instrumental on the whole album. Maybe the best instrumental of it's respective year. But Del's guest features sound somewhat awkward over this instrumental. Still an amazing song...

9. Wrong Place
I can't place my hand on the sample and it's bugging me! Also amazing, is the direction that Del took over this instrumental. Just flipped it completely on it's ass... much props given Mr. Homosapien.

10. In And Out
Compared to all the previous songs, this one is a snoozer. The instrumental is not engaging at all, so it neglects whatever Del is spitting.

11. Don't Forget
Another fairly weak beat, but Del rides this one much better. Still a sub-par song when compared to the rest of the album.

12. Miles To Go
If you look through Del's entire discography you will notice that he does a few songs like this per album. This doesn't sound like it belongs on this album, but it still kicks something crazy...

13. Check It Ooout
Del slows his flow down, and kills this track. Best song off this classic album, hands down! You'll have to Check It Ooout...

14. Thank Youse
Very weak ending, but it is an outro, so if you take it into perspective, this song serves it's purpose.

Very solid album. Del comes with his own style and keeps it consistent throughout the whole album. Heavy funk and Del's flow just work together, and this album is a joy to listen to.

0-20: Terrible listening experience
21-40: Maybe one good song
41-60: A few good songs
61-80: Half are good songs, half are weak
81-100: Great listening experience, almost all are great songs

I give this album an 86.

You can find a link here.

2 comments:

Chivato said...

The title-track for 3030 is unreal and one of my favorite tracks ever. Dan the Automator was years ahead of time on that tape. Haven't listened to No Need For Alarm but will give it a spin now.

google sniper said...

lots of good tunes and this album is one that will stay in the cd player for weeks, thumbs up!